- 01-Feb-2013 to 15-Feb-2013 (PST)
- Sylvan Way Branch
- Bremerton, WA, USA
- $12.45 - $16.72
- Part Time
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 0113-03 E
Kitsap Regional Library is looking an enthusiastic individual who is energized by providing excellent external and internal customer service at the Sylvan Way Branch. We have a positive team that is highly motivated and very passionate about helping people. This position performs a wide range of circulation and customer service functions. General responsibilities include: staffing the circulation desk; checking in and out various library materials; issuing library cards; assessing or adjusting fines; administering patron accounts; preparing financial reports and providing direct assistance to patrons. This position reports to the Public Services Supervisor.
Any of the following duties may be performed. These examples are representative and not necessarily performed by all incumbents, and do not include all specific tasks an incumbent may be expected to perform.
- Perform all activities associated with the circulation function of the Library including: all transactions pertaining to automated circulation; financial and circulation reporting; administering KRL policies, procedures and services; providing gracious and welcoming customer service both in person and over the telephone.
- Meet and assist library patrons, employees and volunteers. Respond to patron requests for information and direction, referring to other qualified staff as appropriate.
- Assist patrons with basic reference information in accordance with KRL Reference Guidelines; assist patrons in accessing computer programs such as e-mail and using the Internet; respond to patron complaints and/or concerns within established guidelines.
- Assist in promoting Library programs, information, services and materials.
- Assist with training, programming, magazine processing, scheduling and design of displays and other library promotional and informational materials.
- Perform basic shelving responsibilities.
- Assist with weeding (under supervision) and mending of books, periodicals, audiovisual materials and other materials, as needed.
- Responsible, as assigned, for branch operations in the absence of the Branch Manager.
- Prepare the library for opening and securing the library at closing.
- Maintain a clean and efficient library environment.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to provide courteous and efficient customer service to all patrons, staff and volunteers, in a fast-paced public environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited direction or supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff and patrons.
- Ability to handle money, give correct change, and prepare related financial reports required for the cash register.
- Ability to perform financial procedures using the library's automated circulation system and cash register.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and perform required data entry and to use modern word processing and spreadsheet software and specialized software programs accurately.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally (in person and over the telephone) and in writing.
- Ability to follow detailed written or verbal procedural instructions accurately.
- Ability to acquire and effectively implement knowledge of KRL policies and procedures and to use independent judgment to resolve circulation and patron problems within established guidelines.
- Ability to sort and file alpha-numerically, including ability to use the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ability to work a schedule that may change periodically, including evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge and support of the Library's principles of intellectual freedom.
- Knowledge and support of Library policies and procedures.
- Courteous customer service in an environment that may at times be stressful. This
requires use of diplomacy and tact to establish and maintain relationships with customers, both internal and external.
- Ability to work effectively, within a teamwork environment, in daily activities as well as addressing problems and unique situations.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing information, technology, work procedures and library services.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with customer and/or employee records.
Specific dates and times will be discussed with supervisor upon hiring; may require evenings and Saturdays. This is a part time non-exempt position; 25 hours per week. Please note that schedules are subject to change to meet the needs of the library.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school graduate or GED plus one year experience in a service-oriented environment that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
*A resume and cover letter are required for all positions and may be uploaded or copy/pasted and submitted with your application. Please explain in your cover letter any gaps in employment.
KRL has a generous Employee Leave Benefit Program, including vacation, sick leave, 11 paid or pro-rated holidays annually and 1 personal holiday. KRL also provides medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Employee Assistance Program participation. KRL is a member of the Washington Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).